What is a shaman?
A shaman is a healer with a connection to nature. A person who enters a trace and can connect with the universe and the spirits on a higher level than most people can. Shaman’s believe that all things have a spirit and healing needs to happen at this level. They also use herbs to aide the spirit and the body in healing itself. In ancient times, they were highly regarded. Some of these ancient practices are still around and are included in modern day shamanism.
In ancient times, and in some cultures around the world today, to become a shaman you would go off on a spirit vision quest and if you came back having had a vision; you would be able to learn from the current shaman in the village. This quest was nothing to take lightly. You would be removed from contact with the village; you would not have any food or water and would have to fend for yourself in the wild.
A second way would be to survive a venomous snakebite. If you survived something that is known to kill, then you must have healing powers and connections with spirits. This is still true today, but it takes on a more general meaning. The general meaning is that if you have survived a near death experience, you might be a shaman.
Another general way that indicates that you might be a shaman is if you have struggled through great hardship in your life. If you have ever found yourself on the street, living out of your car, REALLY down on your luck and have come back from it prospering, you might be a shaman.
You might be a shaman if you:
- Are an introvert
- Feel more at home in nature
- Feel you’re meant to do something bigger than yourself
- Want to ease the pain and suffering of animals, humans and nature
- Fall victim to “shaman sicknesses”. In modern culture, these shamanic sickensses may fall into difficult to treat categories like chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic Lyme Disease, chronic pain disorders, and autoimmune disorders
- Have vivid dreams
- Experience psychic powers or “siddhis”
- Feel you don’t quite belong
If any of these signs speak to you, you may be a shaman who has yet to accept their calling.